Saturday, June 03, 2006

“I want you to know I couldn’t be fonder of you if you were my own son. But, well, if you lose a son, it’s possible to get another. There’s only one Maltese Falcon…”
As any film noir addict knows, that quote is from the classic 1941 movie. But what character said it? Now, thanks to a lively little book containing some great quotes from film noir collected by Charles Pappas and beautifully designed by Claudean Wheeler,

you can discover that – plus such other delights as
“I can be framed easier than Whistler’s Mother” (1946’s The Dark Corner)
and
“Imagine me on this cheap rap, big man like me. Picked up just for shovin’ a guy’s ears off his head. Traffic ticket stuff” (1947’s Kiss of Death)
and
“Experience has taught me never to trust a policeman. Just when you think one’s all right, he turns legit” (1950’s The Asphalt Jungle).
The list goes on, right through 2005’s Sin City – and it should improve your conversational skills no end. My only quibble is that there seems to be no mention of the writers who typed the words in the first place – especially odd since the publisher is Writer’s Digest.